CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Preaching the Gospel Can Be Pretty Dangerous!!!


Max and I were called to be Ward Missionaries, a calling I've really been excited for! Unfortunately the few time the Missionaries have called us to go on splits I've always had school or work so Max has gone alone. I was really excited when they called last night asking us to go with them to teach a women by the name of Mary, Sunday evening.

We met the Elders at a gas station in the south valley near Mary's house. For those of you not familiar with Albuquerque, the south valley is the "West Valley" or "West Ogden" of Utah, its the "scary" part of town. We followed the Elders to the house. We taught Mary for about an hour, about Jesus Christ, the Atonement, the Restoration and The Book of Mormon. Max and I had the chance to bare testimonies. We had a good time, the Spirit was there, and the Elders made an appointment to meet again Wednesday.

As we were walking down the driveway, Elder Innes told us "you guys rocked it in there!" We laughed and made small talk. Just before we made it to the street we heard yelling in Spanish. I made some smart comment about how much I love Albuquerque. Then POP POP POP, we could see the flashes of light in the darkness as a gun began to fire. The Elders and I stood in SHOCK that someone was shooting a gun only 40-50 feet away from us. Max yelled "GET DOWN, GET DOWN" As the four of us ran (not so easy in hit heels, I'm wearing flats from now on) and crouched behind the truck, 4 or 5 hispanic men ran past us. A white car drove to the end of the street, picked them up and it was over. Max thinks 6 to 8 shot were fired, I honestly had no clue, I just couldn't believe it was happening.

All I can say is preaching the Gospel can be pretty dangerous! I feel watched over and blessed that no one was hurt! I told Max I don't think there is anyway we can ever forget our first year of marriage because I was been quite eventful, most of which is thanks to Albuquerque!!!

9 comments:

Becca Hansen said...

Holy Crap! Were they shooting at you guys or at someone else? I bet those missionaries will have a cool story to write home about.

Holly said...

O.O

Holy Crap! Seriously, you have had waaay to much happen your first year of marriage.

Max and Maureen said...

They weren't shooting at us but in our general direction, it was a guy shooting at the 4-5 men running towards us.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Wow, "holy crap" are the words to say. I am so glad you guys are ok. Scary!

Mary Ellen Hansen said...

All I can say is that Heavenly Father really has a reason for you both to live!

Grandmother Mary Ellen

Adespain said...

So glad you are ok!!! You guys have had one of the craziest first years of marriage ever!

B j M a said...

Sweet! I think it is pretty great that you two are ward missionaries...and Max didn't want to go on a mission. Who needs a mission with experiences like this with your wife!

Jackie Norris said...

Wow, that is crazy! I'm glad you are both safe!

The Durrant Family said...

WOW! You be careful out there.Im so glad you are ok. God bless Utah. LOL